Hamburg News: Hafen und Logistik - Shipping-Container-Schiff - © HMG Christian Spahrbier
TCO setzt auf die Schiene – Bahncontainer von Hamburg nach China © HHM/Joanne Oehlers

Port puts containers for China on rails

177 freight train connections link Hamburg and China - TCO Transcargo GmbH opting for rails

Rail transport between Hamburg and China has developed remarkably since the TCO Transcargo, the Hamburg-based service provider of cargo handling and trains entered the field over twelve months ago, a press release said Friday (June 29,2017) . The opportunities have by no means been exhausted and further potential still exists. The new Silk Road is one of China’s largest development programs in years. Billions are being invested in infrastructure and building up train services. Some 177 weekly container block train links are available between Hamburg and China. “We primarily handle containers for export to China. That started with three or four 40-ft containers per week,” said Thomas Wolnewitsch, Managing Director of TCO. The firm now handles 25 containers destined for China per week, which account for 10 to 15 per cent of TCO’s business.

Transport faster on Silk Road

Rail transport is faster than waterborne deliveries to China from Hamburg, which can take six weeks compared to three weeks by train. The aim is to deliver goods per train on the 11,000 km route in seven to nine days. Wolnewitsch added: “For time taken, then, rail is currently very interesting in comparison with sea transport. And on price, it is highly attractive compared to air freight.” Yet, the new transport system will not significantly influence the transport volume by sea as the capacities are simply too small.

About TCO Transcargo GmbH 

Founded in Hamburg in 1991, TCO Transcargo GmbH is among the top providers of cargo handling, warehousing, distribution and container logistics. TCO operates two multi-functional terminals in the Port of Hamburg with optimal links to the container terminals and transport hubs. TCO’s 150 staff offer the full range of logistics services for imports and exports on over 100,000 square metres with 25 of the firm’s own electronically secured warehouses. At least 70 per cent of rail containers for China, handled by TCO, contain cars. The remaining 30 per cent consists of machinery, steel coils and boxed/crated export cargo. ZIH trains leave Hamburg for China almost daily. The operator plans to further boost frequency to meet rising demand.

Sources and further information:

More articles

  • There are no older articles in this category.
  • There are no newer articles in this category.