Topping out ceremony for Start-up Labs Bahrenfeld innovation centre
The new innovation centre "Start-up Labs Bahrenfeld" celebrated its topping out ceremony Monday (June 8, 2020) marking the end of the shell construction phase. The entire build is due to be completed in 2021. Then business start-ups, high-tech start-ups in diverse research fields can lease some 2,200 square metres of space e.g. as offices, laboratory space and infrastructure for transferring knowledge from science to business. The business incubator is a joint project by DESY, the University of Hamburg and the City of Hamburg which is putting EUR 14.2 million towards the build and making the land available without a leasehold.
Support for cutting-edge start-ups
Katharina Fegebank, Senator for Science, Research and Equality, remarked: "Cutting edge start-ups need support and the right environment to implement their businesses successfully. The 'Start-up Labs Bahrenfeld' innovation centre creates ideal starting conditions and infrastructure for fledgling companies and knowledge-based co-operation projects."
Start-up Labs Bahrenfeld
The innovation centre will promote the diverse, innovative ecosystem in Hamburg by selecting start-ups and high-tech companies that correspond to the fields of research on the campus, which is operated by the Innovationszentrum Forschungscampus Hamburg-Bahrenfeld GmbH with Dr. Arik Willner as Managing Director. "Start-ups and fledgling companies need active help and support to achieve long-term success in economically difficult times. The services offered by the 'Start-up Labs Bahrenfeld' will provide a targeted approach," Willner stressed.
The building envelope will be closed in the coming weeks to pave the way for work on the interior. All work and the complex infrastructure with laser and X-ray laboratories as well as electronics workshops will be completed by next summer in time for the first tenants. Start-ups and fledgling companies require cutting edge facilities provided by the new centre for high-tech products such as robotics or laser systems and services such as work with nanomaterials.
DESY is one of the world's leading accelerator centres and investigates the structure and function of matter - from the interaction of the smallest elementary particles, the behaviour of novel nanomaterials and vital biomolecules to the great mysteries of the universe. The particle accelerators and the detection instruments that DESY develops and builds at its sites in Hamburg and Zeuthen are unique research tools. DESY is managed by the Helmholtz Association and is financed to 90 per cent by the German Ministry of Education and Research while the states of Hamburg and Brandenburg pay the remaining 10 per cent.